We’re always on the hunt for skilled web developers to join our Newcastle-based team. Most of our work is in WordPress CMS, however we also work in Shopify and other systems such as OnCourse.
Our development team currently comprises of 7 web developers – from senior, to mid-level and junior developers.
About Redback Solutions
Founded in 1999, Redback is one of Newcastle’s longest-running digital agencies, specialising in website design and development, content creation and digital marketing services. From small companies, to large corporates, government and Ecommerce businesses, our tight-knit team of 22 have experience working with a wide range of clients.
In 2018, Redback was purchased by Kyle Fuhrmann and Dave Eddy. At the same time, we merged with Newcastle digital marketing agency Vicinity and we’ve been experiencing some exciting growth ever since. You can learn more about us here and check out some of our work here.
Web developer roles at Redback
Skills & experience required
- You’ll need at least 5 years relevant experience for senior positions (potentially less for junior-mid level roles). Ideally you have real world experience developing responsive websites and/or web apps, preferably within an agency or building sites for clients as a freelancer.
- Strong PHP / WordPress development skills essential and ideally you are well-versed in developing custom WordPress themes
- Experience with CSS pre-processors (We use Sass)
- Experience with BEM coding framework preferred
- Strong understanding of cross-browser / device compatibility issues
- Comfortable working with version control and collaborating on the same repo as your teammates.
- Experience with emerging web development technologies would be a bonus eg. Progressive Web Apps, REST API, Google AMP, Headless WordPress, modern coding languages, etc.
- Demonstrable ability to diagnose, understand and fix technical performance issues
- Experience in Shopify development would be a bonus but not essential
- Understanding of SEO definitely a bonus
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Ability to deliver projects and tasks accurately, consistently and within reasonable deadlines
- Curiosity and commitment to learn about new web technologies and approaches
- A team player who enjoys collaborating with others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A decent eye for design is essential
- Positive, energetic and team-oriented
Deal-breakers (stuff we don’t want in a new team member)
- A “that’ll do” approach to our clients’ projects
- A closed mind to change and new ways of doing things
- Big egos. We’re really really (really) not keen on big egos here
Benefits, culture & values
Redback prides itself on being a fantastic place to work and develop your skills for those who are able to work as part of a team and provide modern, high quality digital solutions to our clients.
Our company culture is fun, supportive, energetic and outcome-focussed.
We take our client work extremely seriously, however we don’t take ourselves too seriously – we definitely have a bit of a silly streak in us 😉
We believe in helping our people grow and be the best they can be. Our office in Newcastle has that “like a big family” feel and we kinda love it that way.
NO WORK WEDNESDAYS
We’ve never been keen on the whole 50,60,70 hours a week burn-me-out agency life thing. So, in early 2020, we shifted to a “No Work Wednesday” model. This means that the majority of our full time employees do their 37.5 hour week in 4 days, instead of the standard 5. More on that here!
Start date: Flexible
Your application: If you feel we may be a fit for each other, we’d love for you to reach out. Our hiring process looks something like this:
- Video chin wag with senior team members
- Basic online code test
- Meet the team
- Role offer
Thank you! 🙂